Friday, January 10, 2014
A "Treasured" Story about Emme Jade...
I have had this post on my heart this week. It makes sense, because three years ago at this time we were reviewing the file of Yang Yu Qiao. Seven months later, the Chinese government would recognize her as Emme Jade, our daughter. This adoption was a leap of faith.. Especially for her Daddy. I have never really shared the whole story.. But, the anniversary of this little miracle, is worth sharing. It was truly a faith walk that took us back to China. God blessed us and assured us over and over again while we waited for this tiny gem, that this was His plan for our family... But, it started out with a prompt from an incredible friend that encouraged me to speak from my heart to Jeff...
At the time this photo grabbed my attention, life was not easy here.. Quite honestly, it was hard. I was over my head in the Mom department. Sienna Grace had rocked my world. She had rocked all of our worlds.. Our wounded beautiful third child from Hunan, had only been home for 10 months.. She had sifted us all by this time, especially me. Most people probably would not have signed up to go back for another child when we did. Thankfully, my ability to forget the labor pains, and China's new policy for re-using dossiers guided me on this one.
If there is one thing I have learned through our adoptions it is that when you follow God's plan for your family, He blesses you. The hard part some times is discerning if it is God's plan or our plan. That is where faith has to come in. Not everything is neat and tidy. At least not in my life. Emme's file came to us like an un-planned pregnancy. It was the result of a thank you note I sent to a "God Mother" on New Years Eve. That resulted in a link to a few files of kids becoming available on an individual list. Should I have been looking at files, the truth is no.. I was at capacity. The following day, I plopped three files of children on Jeff's lap while he was watching football on New Year's Day. I think I said something like, "can you just look at these?" His response, "We are done.." My repsonse was something like, "I know, but can you look anyway!" My very sweet husband did that for me.. Why, because He loves me.. And, He knows that if God is involved, He might as well get out of the way.. So he humored me.. Less than impressed he went through them.. One little girl caught his eye.. She was on a green plastic riding toy.. When I asked him who she reminded him of, he said Ruby... My thoughts exactly! That joyful face was a little hard to ignore! I am pretty sure that is where Mr. Handsome checked out.. He had sweetly done what I had asked him to do...
The story goes on that I sent little Miss Joyful's file to a cardiologist we know. But, he didn't respond.. In fact by the time he said, "go get her" he was one hour late. I had sent her file back already.. With a heavy heart, (and without Jeff's total blessing) I emailed the agency quickly and asked for 24 hours.. That request was granted.. So, now I had to put on my big girl panties, and call my husband. Whom by the way had just landed in Vegas for the busiest week of his year, and was standing in a cab line. I texted him first, with this message, "So.... do you want to go back to China?" I believe that led to a phone call from the cab line... Let's just say I put his back against the wall. I gave my sweet hubby less than 24 hours to say "yes, send me.." I can honestly say that a "China vacation" was definitely not on his itinerary for 2011. I let the poor guy go to his hotel, and asked him to call me...
In the meantime I am sure my heart was pounding on how I was going to convince him that he needed another child!! His objections were: We are too old (true), we have our plate full (true), college tuition (true), weddings (true), etc.. But, as we all know God does not care about any of that.. I knew if this was God's will, He would help us with all of that.. But, was it God's will, or my heart strings? So, like any girl, I picked up the phone and called my sweet and wise friend Jen. Her advice, "speak from your heart, and he will say yes!" So, that is what I did.. As I recall, I was in a "Krispy Kreme" parking lot selling Mr. Handsome on #4 without taking one single breath.. I agreed with all of his reasons.. And, added that I was the one looking at freedom (I mean Kindergarten for the Middles) next year. So, if I was willing to stay home with a toddler, this must be a God thing! My sales pitch went on and I must say between the Holy Spirit talking, and me handling Jeff's objections, I was pretty convincing! The conversation was closed with... "I am going to trust you on this.. If God is calling you back, then I will support that..." To compare this to a sales call, I felt like I had just gotten the purchase order.. I stopped talking, cried tears of thanks, and hung up quickly to lock that file before he could change his mind.." And that was that.. Sweet Emme Jade was conceived in the parking lot of Krispy Kreme donuts! LOL
Of course the story has more chapters.. It was obvious at first that Mr. Handsome had his doubts about his crazy wife's decision.. But, than the miracles started un-raveling.. One after another God showed us that there was absolutely no doubt that this little girl living in an orphanage half a world away was born to be ours.. The list is too long to share.. But, as my army of prayer warriors prayed for this Daddy's heart, and this adoption, God showed up in a big way.. It started with an unexpected commission check that equaled the amount of one adoption from China.. Then a completely wonderful stranger read my blog who had a daughter from Yangzhou... Her comment to me was:
"Please email me. We adopted our daughter from this very SWI 17 months ago. I have some contact info you will be very excited to have."
That email was the beginning of an introduction to Emme's SWI.. It was followed shortly by the first of many precious photos of Emme while we waited that we will treasure forever.. It was this photo that sent Jeff's heart at ease.. Love for this child began to grow that day...
This little love story goes on for Emme and her Daddy... It was with her new Baba in China where she found her security.. He was the one she wanted, not this Mama.. Mr. Handsome hung the China moon as far as his new daughter was concerned... It was, and still is, so incredibly sweet. She was born to be the baby here! His baby girl...

The first night in the hotel in Nanjing..
I think Emme's adoption will always be a reminder to me that faith is not about what we see, but what we can't see. It's about trusting God's plan for your life.. It's about getting out of our own way so we don't miss some of life's greatest blessings.. There is something reassuring about life when it's God's plan for you.. even when it's hard..
This verse was in a devotional I read three years ago today, January 10th, when we decided to officially go back to China!
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." ~Matthew 6:21
Amen to that!!

Thankful for this little treasure and her Daddy's big ole heart!!
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 1:11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Blogs I Try to Keep Up With!
-
So Long September~1 week ago
-
Our Wedding Rehearsal1 month ago
-
Destin Day 45 years ago
-
-
The Fourth7 years ago
-
What I have read lately7 years ago
-
-
{Happy Birthday to you...}8 years ago
-
-
Flood Part 4: Shelter Living10 years ago
-
-
Celebrating 2 Years With "Sweet Colin"12 years ago
-
Hilton Head ~ 201412 years ago
-
-
DON'T EVER QUIT !!!12 years ago
-




15 comments:
Oh how I'd love a third! I wish three files would end up in my Inbox . . . Your sweet Emme couldn't be any cuter. And she does have the same infectious smile as your Ruby.
Sob-fest over here :) What an amazing journey we have traveled together in just a few short years!!! So happy and blessed to be on this crazy journey together!! love, love
oh my word, sniff sniff....God really took the reins for our precious Emme Jade. I love how Jeff and Hank were NOT on board and God worked big did he not!!! I will never tire of these kiddos life stories!! Love you friend, tell Emme her package is in the mail:)
Thank you so much for posting such a personal and heartwarming story. We just returned home with our treasure in September, and life has been a dream! However, I don't think our family is through with China, nor is China done with us; I'm just unclear what form this will take for us in the future. I've been a long-time follower of your blog and really have enjoyed watching your girls grow up, thanks again!
What a precious story of faith! God is truly amazing!
Beautiful story - thank you for sharing - i love how if God wants something done, he moves the mountains to do so!
Susie R
Such a Beautiful, God designed story!!! She's Precious!!
LOVE seeing all pic of her sweet/loving smile!
Thanks for sharing Emme Jade's story...LOVE!!!
cracking up over "emme jade was conceived in a krispy kreme parking lot!" very good writing there, diana rouse! =) but i agree with paige and jen ... tears over the whole story ... and knowing emme now. wow. and having the treasured chance to see (almost daily) how she is woven into your family ... God isn't in the business of fairytales, but occasionally He allows for one ...
all glory and praise be to Him -- the One who is a Father to the fatherless and who sets the lonely in families. xoxo
Sitting here sick with the flu reading your blog. Tears running down my face and now Im even more stuffed up and cant breath!!
Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. Your hubby is a keeper for sure. Oh how I would love to go back to China some day before we get too old. :) My heart is still there but I have to figured out what Im suppose to do about it. I pray God will show us. :) I owe you an email too. Just trying to catch up in between resting and trying to get better. :)
Thank you for sharing Emme's story. We too are on a faith walk as we wait for a referral from China-almost 7 years. 8 1/2 years since our referral for Sophie and trusting God to show us His plan for our family. You blessed us and encouraged us today. Thank you!
Mitch & Jaylene Anderson
Although your adoptions have touched my heart, thank you so much for sharing the rest of Emme Jade's story. I remember following your My Adoption Website site when you adopted Ruby. There were a few families, yours being one of them that touched my heart. Although I have always had adoption on my heart, China was not really a thought (I had done work in orphanages in Eastern Europe). Well starting with the journeys, like yours, that I followed, my heart was connected to China. I became connected - and I am so happy to say that now we have been matched with our DAUGHTER!! What started as a dream, so many years ago while reading blogs, has become our family's story. Our journey has not been typical and her referral come completely as a surprise, but like you said in your post I knew it was God thing and we needed to trust. We hope to travel in April or May to bring home our Ellie Lynn! I just wanted to take this chance to say THANK YOU! Thank you for sharing your family, your adoptions, your story - you have been a part in bring us to our daughter!
With Blessings and Gratitude,
Ashley
www.oursunshinedays.blogspot.com
This is such a beautiful story, thanks for sharing!
Incredibly moving and beautiful story!!
KK @ Preppy Pink Crocodile
Sigh...so sweet. What a beautiful testimony for your daughter to know someday! And a beautiful tribute to your husband.
oh ... I'm starting to cry ... your story is so wonderful ! Sweet Emme Jade !! We are parents of a treasure from China, and waiting for another one ...
I read your blog every week, from France, love it ! Thank you for sharing !
Christelle
http://filnotrehistoire.canalblog.com