Wednesday, January 26, 2011

B&W Wednesday {The Big Sister}

AKR-12BWhiteBLog

A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life
- Isadora James

AKR-4-Mademoiselle50%Blog

I have never been a big sister. I was the baby in my family. I never had the responsibility of being a role model in this way. The thing about this job, is you are thrown in to it. You don't audition, you don't interview, it is just what you have to do. You can choose to do it well.. You can choose to embrace it.. You can choose to make a difference in the lives of little people who look up to you. It's not always easy when they are into your things.. It can be frustrating and rewarding all on the same day. It can also be amazing.


AKR-18MademoiselleBLog

I know a big sister that I have watched in the past four years embrace this role. Some days it is hard. Especially when your little sisters are driving you crazy. I know a special girl who is very proud of her sisters. Proud of their heritage, proud to call them hers! I know a girl, who since she was five years old, has had to learn about sacrifice. About some days putting her needs behind the needs of her sisters. She has had to learn that loving can be a lot of work. But, she has also seen the rewards of putting others first. She has lived the blessing.

AKR-12MademoiselleBLog

This beautiful big sister traveled to China last year to bring home a new sister. It wasn't an easy trip. The meet and greet was not storybook.. It was scary and sad... But, this big sister didn't run away... She patiently waited for this new sister to love her. It didn't take long for this big sister to win the heart of a very special little girl. Perhaps it was just a few hours... First it was a hand touch, then a smile, then a giggle.. Trust was born before our eyes that day. It continues today.

This big sister advocated for a little girl named Chow Chow. When her Daddy said "yes" her reaction was "Mom, you married the best man in the world!" I would agree... Sometimes I laugh that Ainsley will breeze through child birth. She has a short memory of the pain that is involved in bringing someone into the world. I have told her how proud I am of her. This decision to go back to China included this special big sister. Her willingness to go again is un-selfish. It will affect her. It will affect us. One thing I do know for sure, her heart will grow.. Our hearts will grow too.

My prayer is that Ainsley will always be willing to add one more to her table. That she will always reach out for those who have less. That she will, by example, go when she is called! Even when others may question her choices. I pray she will always trust with child-like faith!

Ainsley for now you have been called to be a role model, to be a friend and a confidant, to three special little girls. I know there are days it is challenging! But, I also know you have been given this job for a reason. You have a gift for this! You are, and you will continue, to make a difference in their lives! I look forward to seeing Chow Chow fall in love with you! She is going to be so blessed! And on the days when you wonder what you were thinking, just remember that God has chosen you to be their big sister because He knew you could do it so beautifully!


Love,
Mom

the long road




22 comments:

TanyaLea said...

Di~ that was BEAUTIFUL! I know that Ainsley will grow up treasuring these heart-felt words from her mother. What a blessing you are to eachother! She continues to amaze me, too ~ the maturity which she beholds at such a young age. Clearly God has big things planned for her life, as she has already been a vessel that He has worked through. She is precious. A PRECIOUS PEARL in every sense of the word!!

God bless! <><

Kim said...

I will be bringing kleenex to all future posts.
WOW! What a gift these words will be to Ainsley someday as she recalls these treasured childhood memories and the gift of being a big sister. Her maturity and servant heart shine thru. As they say, "Like Mother, Like Daughter!"
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Stefanie said...

Makin' me CRY!
Your precious Ainsley is something else, indeed.... but I *think* she gets that from her mama!!
What a blessing to get to know Ainsley's sweet and soft heart for those in need.
GORGEOUS, inside and out!!

Ani said...

I think I need to stop reading your blog at work, for the 3rd day in a row you have made me cry!
What a BEAUTIFUL post, such a tribute to the young woman you are raising.
She is truly precious.
Blessings.

crazy said...

I pray that Miss Emmaleigh will one day have a heart that is open like Ainsley's. I see glimpses of that heart some days when Amelia is crying and she runs over to comfort her. I am so excited that you all have found another daughter. I haven't given up hope that dear hubby will change his mind...Amelia has already said she wants a baby brother AND a baby sister!

jennifer said...

Wow!! You are on a roll!! What is this? 6? 7? posts that have brought tears?
Ainsley is such an incredible, sweet little girl. She gets her heart from her mom! I can't wait to see how God uses Ainsley in the years to come, and definitely can't wait to see how she embraces Chow Chow and shows her the ropes like she did for her other sisters!

snekcip said...

Beautiful letter, Beautiful sisterly relationship, Beautiful Ainsley...both inside and out! No doubt Ainsley will grow into the young woman we all envision. She is loving, caring, giving and benevolent, all those make for a beautiful young woman!

Waterworks Wednesday indeed!

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful little girl~ or should I say big sister... She is such a sweetheart to love her sisters SO much. You are a precious mom that recognizes it.
Blessings and Joy!

Amy said...

BEAUTIFUL...In every possible way.

The Oswalds said...

So beautifully written for an amazingly beautiful & precious big sister!

G'night Gracie said...

Hi Diana -
I've been following your blog for a while because I also have a daughter from China. I haven't visited lately and was so happy to hear you're headed to China again. This made my heart yearn to go again, too. But I'm currently trying to figure out how I can spend more time with my daughter and that will have a big impact on our budget - so I don't think it's the plan for us. I also wanted to tell you that I'm sorry to hear about your Dog. I have a mixed breed dog that reminds me of a larger version of Caymus. I know how precious they are. Congratulations to you and your family. Chow Chow is one lucky girl to have such a beautiful big sister and family. And one last thing, I love the name Violet or Ivy.

Kath said...

Ainsley's grace has been apparent to me since I started following your blog! What a beautiful gift she is and what a beautiful gift to her your words will be for a lifetime! She has so much potential and with your love and God's graces she will go far.
Kath

Unknown said...

Diana - your photography is so breathtaking - then to put the words you did today with it - BIG TEARS and SMILES!

Beautiful!

Blessings and love,
Jill
http://fnaphotography.blogspot.com

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

I read about that beautiful girl of yours and Amy(Ruby's mommy) and I were just talking about her this morning...What an amazing little girl with a very old and kind soul, mature beyond her years with a huge heart:) I love hearing how she embraces her role as big sister....even when it is not easy. She has learned early in her life the best things are usually not the things that come easy.
She is a precious soul and obviously she has a good role model herself:)

Good luck with Chow Chow's name(although I LOVE her nickname) All of your girls have beautiful names that seem to fit them so well, so I am certain that you will pick something lovely and befitting.

Unknown said...

I love her name: Ainsley. And I LOVE your photoshoot with her. I know she takes her role very seriously. And I know her little sister looks up to her and adores her.

j-chin said...

It is amazing what a big heart Ainsley has, to not only accept little sisters in her family, but also so willingly helps in so many ways, to make adoption an even sweeter journey for your family.

I see a beautiful woman she will be one day, not only outwardly, but most importantly, at heart. God bless!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

This was beautiful Diana!

Your words made me get a little wheepy..... I know you are so proud of how far she has come. She went from being the only child to becoming the older sister and handled te transition and embraced her new role with ease and grace. She is truly an amazing little girl.

Love these pictures of your gorgeous girl! Can you believe that soon you will be mom to 4 gorgeous girls? Insert a big scream HERE~

xoxo,

Lisa

Tracy said...

Ainsley has always amazed me - so crazy to think she was what - 4? when I first met her in 2006? She has always been so good with little ones every time I have seen her. I hope we see you guys soon - maybe at FCA CNY?

3 Peanuts said...

Dave and I have always been so impressed with sweet Miss Ainsley since the moment we met her. She is full of grace. That is how I would describe her. I love her and I think what you wrote here is so beautiful and so dead on. Her inner beauty shines as brightly as her out beauty does. And yes...why do you keep making us cry???

3 Peanuts said...

I forgot to add (probably because I am getting so used to it now) but your photos are GORGEOUS as always!!! Really, gorgeous!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Your words spoke to my heart today - about teching our kids by example. Ainsley is blessed ton have you and Jeff as parents ...... To show her exactly what being Christ's hands and feet looks like.

Heather said...

LOVE Ainsley's navy coat and adorable little hat! She is so beautiful, in every way a young lady should be! So funny, when we first "met", Ainsley was an only child...now look at her shepherd her sisters, make her mama and daddy proud and bless SO many! Hugs to Miss A. Em want to pen pal with her :)Keep shining the light of Jesus, Ainsley...you do that so beautifully!

Love,
Heather (and the girls!)

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive