Sunday, January 16, 2011

Caymus - Saying Goodbye Is So Hard...

<span class=

July 16, 2000 - January 15, 2011

Ten years ago I flew from Nashville to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to pick up the most adorable puppy I had ever seen. I even escorted her to her new home in a Sherpa Bag in First Class! She had the softest, fluffiest fur I had ever touched. One paw looked like she had stepped in white paint. This was our first dog... our training baby! At the time I worked out of the house, so she grew up under my desk. What we didn't know when I made that trip to bring her home, was that I was pregnant with Ainsley. It was an exciting time. We named her Caymus after a vineyard in Napa Valley that we love. For 10 years she has been my companion. Always at my feet or at the window seat in my office. Caymus has a reputation for being smart and naughty too. She was a professional at stealing food when you were not looking. Unless you were a fruit or a vegetable you were not safe when she was around. We have lost a cake for a baby shower, pies, plates of cookies, even a raw fillet. She was the master. She loved being in the mix of it all, and hated being alone. At the cabin she would be beside herself if she could see me on the boat or a kayak. She was known to jump in and come swimming after me. Always a true and loyal companion. She looked up to Jeff. They even shared the same birthday! She always treated him differently than anyone else. She had the utmost respect for her master, and she never pulled off any of her antics when he was around. I on the other hand, had been accused of being treated like her litter-mate! She was so funny and smart! She was a pure bread Portuguese Water dog, and such a beauty. She loved walks, retrieving a ball, and having space to run at the cabin. She loved to give kisses, and she adored having her back end scratched. And, when Jeff was traveling, she was the first one to claim his spot on our bed. She never walked in from outside with out waiting to have her paws wiped. And she would sit at the door for hours until you gave her the treat she believed she deserved! A high maintenance lady since the day we met!

DSC_0584_2

Caymus has not been herself for the last three weeks. It was obvious very quickly that something was very wrong with our girl. After multiple tests we were given the bad news last week that she had cancer. An in-operable cancer that was causing her to lose blood. Through my tears I took her home that day. But, I stopped first to get her a treat, ice cream. Even in her weakest state I knew she would not pass up on that. Throughout the week she had some bursts of energy that gave us hope. She even managed to rally enough to steal some food, and get into the garbage. This time it didn't even make me mad. Just a window to see the precocious girl I loved so.

Yesterday morning, Caymus let Jeff and I know that she was ready... Perhaps she didn't like to see us so sad. We had prayed that she would let us know, and she did. Thankfully, she was well enough to follow me around one more time before she went home. Her last meal, 2 monster cookies and some ice cream. Thanks Lisa!

And when the dreaded time came it was peaceful.. She had her Mom & Dad there to love her through the journey, and her best friend Piper there to say goodbye too. As she went off to sleep we, thanked her for ten years of unconditional love, for her amazing loyalty and for all of the great stories, that will be her legacy.

It will take me a while to get used to not having her under my feet. I will even miss her crazy barking when someone walks by. But, mostly I will miss the way she enthusiastically loved me. Jeff and I celebrated our "first born" last night with a bottle of her namesake!

<span class=

We love you and miss you Caymus!

Love,
~Mom, Dad, Ainsley, Sienna, Ruby and Piper




46 comments:

jennifer said...

This is making me cry! What a sweet tribute to your "firstborn". This circle of life isn't always fun, but how precious that she had you by her side for all of it. You can't ask for more than that.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

WIth tears rolling down my face I want to say how sorry I am for your loss. We just lost our 14 year old baby to cancer as well and I know the sadness you have right now. Our furry babies are like our children too.
((hugs))

Sarah said...

So sorry for your loss... our furbabies are our babies and it is so sad to let them go.

Prayers for you and your family.

Laurie said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful companion. I loved reading all about her and the special relationship you shared.

Big Happy Family said...

Animals are so much a part of the family, and loosing one always hurts so much. I am so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Caymus. What a sweet post and tribute. Caymus was clearly very loved.

Life frome where we are said...

Just hope this helps a little....

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together……….

Author Unknown

Brooke said...

I too have tears. I'm terribly sorry you had to say goodbye to sweet Caymus. We had to tell our beloved Sassy of 17 years goodbye two years ago. Every now and then when I think of her, I still miss her and get teary eyed. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Pottersclay597 said...

I am so sorry for your loss....it is so hard to lose a beloved family pet...her legacy will definitely live on in you and your family...God bless and I will be praying for all of you through this time of transition....

Missy said...

I am so so sorry for your loss. I can tell Caymus meant the world to you guys. I pray your hearts heal soon and the memories make you laugh and smile even sooner. xoxo

Snickerdoodle said...

I'm sorry. I didn't even know your dog, and I'm bawling!

Pets always hold a special place in our hearts. They love us so unconditionally, don't they?

My oldest still remembers me crying for 3 days when my furball went to heaven. And she was THREE!

Take care of yourself.
Best,
Snick :)

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Di. This made my cry too. I am so very, very sorry. This is one of the most beautifully written posts you have ever published. You love for Caymus shines through in each and every single word. I know you will miss that furball at your feet and under your desk for a long time.

Caymus was lucky to have such a loving family for so ling and she is stealing lots of treats up in doggie heaven. I am here for you friend if you need a shoulder to cry on.

Love Being A Nonny said...

What sweet sweet memories. May you be comforted in knowing Caymus knew he was loved.

The Oswalds said...

Tearing up here! So sorry to hear about your losing your sweet 1st baby! Hugs!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful, moving post about your sweet, beloved Caymus. I'm so sorry for your loss and I bet her passing will leave quite a void, but may your memories of her bring you the same peace, joy and comfort that her presence once did.

Judi said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and understand completely. We lost our black lab a year ago and two kitties in the past few months. They had good lives and we cherish the memories, but it is never long enough.

Debbie said...

I am so sorry!!! I feel for you so much ... a beautiful tribute to your wonderful companion!!!

love & hugs from KY

waiting4lexi@gmail.com said...

Gosh Di, I cried through that entire post. What an absolutely beautiful tribute to what sounds like the most amazing and adorable pup ever! Praying for your family and for never forgotten memories of sweet Caymus.
Mary

emilyb said...

what a precious post diana!! Caymus was a gift for sure, what a great dog!! i loved hearing about your special relationship with her. prayers for your family

Mom to my China Posse said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. We to have lost two pets in the last 11 months. One was our 13 year old yorkie and Abby's dog to passed a week before Christmas. Its been sad but like you we remember all the fun times they gave us.

Susan said...

I am a regular follower of your post and I am sitting here crying! Family pets are oh so special and when we lose them, it is truly a loss! I pray your sadness is replaced with all the wonderful loving memories of your first baby! God bless!

Twinkletoes said...

I am so sorry. This is so difficult.

April said...

So very sorry for your loss. You've written a beautiful tribute here. May you have peace in memories during this difficult time.

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss! What a beautifully worded post to pay tribute!

runninggal said...

I am crying for your family. I am so very sorry for your loss. Animals have an amazing way of making themselves into our homes and hearts. Before long, they are a strong part of the family.

She will always be a part of your family and your heart. She was loved. She was your baby.

Love

Sharyn and LiLi

P.S I hope your girls are doing ok. I am sure it is very hard on them. Again- I am sorry.

Inga said...

I am sorry for your loss. Made me cry, it is hard loosing our 4 legged friends. May your memories give you peace.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

I am literally sobbing as I sit here and read about your sweet furry daughter. I hate that so many of us share a similar story, and mine is no different. My first child(a black cocker) named Matty. She was my heart and soul and went everywhere with me. I loved that dog like no other, and the same was true for my husband. She was the best dog, so well mannered, so smart(true story)she was amazingly beautiful. 3 days we had from the time we were told she too had cancer. But she went on her own....I think she knew I could never make the decision myself(as selfish as that sounds) While our world has been so full since she left us in 06', I find I think of her daily, and often wish she were here for Miss Hayden to boss around. We have 2 new black cockers, but it is just NEVER the same.
I feel your loss and your heavy heart. Nothing makes this better, it took months for my heart to not hurt and feel broken. Please accept our sympathies, she was a true beauty, and sounded like such a character. She will obviously be missed....but NEVER forgotten.
What a lovely tribute to her, and I know she is running around at the rainbow bridge:)

snekcip said...

The post, the picture of Caymus and "The Rainbow bridge" posted by Val just reduced me to a puddle of tears! It's amazing how our "fuzzy babies" become so close to us. Praying that the memories of Caymus brings more laughter than tears. What a beautiful, beautiful dog!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh I am bawling reading that! Tears running down my face right now. I am sooo sooo sorry! My prayers are with y'all during this loss. I very much know that pain. Sending love to your family and to your sweet angel.

Tami said...

Oh Diana...I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs are definitely a special part of the family, and the unconditional love and loyalty they give is such a blessing. It's wonderful you were able to be there with her and comfort her as she passed away.

We lost our 5 year old black lab, Sawyer in Novemeber. I still haven't been able to blog about it. It was so sudden and unexpected...happened within a 24 hour period. A seemingly totally healthy Lab one day with no previous health problems and 24 hours after showing symptoms of lethargy and not wanting to eat...he was gone. His labs were normal other than a slightly elevated white count and low grade fever..x-rays showed no obstruction. Not sure exactly what it was... the vets feel he had a massive cerebral vascular event or it was menengitis...the only way they could tell would be to do an autopsy which we opted out on. We were totally in shock and just wanted to bring him home.

The part we all have the most difficult time with was that we weren't able to say goodbye. We brought him home and buried him here. His buddy Finn has had a difficult time adjusting to life without him, but he's doing better and better each day. Like you, I felt it was very important that Finn was able to 'see' he was gone, and just didn;t disappear from our family. When we brought him home, it was pretty emotional for us ALL.

I understand where you're at, Diana. Praying for your heart and your family as you adjust to life without your dear companion.

Love you~
Tam

Ani said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss.

Amy said...

Made me cry. What a sweet loyal companion.

Amy

Gail said...

Oh, my heart goes out to you and the family. It's so hard to lose a loyal, loving dog. I said goodbye in November to my Lacee Girl. She was my first and only dog. She had a wonderful, happy 16 years. She would be 17 on Valentines day.

She had severe arthritis for years and limped alot. The last few years she would fall on occassion going up the 3 stairs from the garage to the house.

I found her in the backyard after work at 6:00PM and she couldnt walk. Her stomach was very big. Rushed her to the ER and she had "twisted stomach". Dr. said she was critical.

They removed the pressure in her tummy and gave her pain meds. The last hour I spent with her she was actully smiling. Probably high as a kite. My sis and I said goodbye to her. Told her to say hello and give her that her cousin Krista is waiting for her (sister's german shepard that went home 1 year ago).

It was very surreal. I thank God for the years of joy and love. I thank God for the peace she had at her final hours. No more suffering.

Good grief, my tears are flowing again.

My 8 yr old gdaughter told her teacher she needs to hve a box of tissue on her desk Valentines Day and that is Lacee Girl's bday. How very sweet, but I sure hope it doesnt ruin her VDay !

Prayers and comfort to you !

Gail (Sonoma, CA)

Unknown said...

The Rouse Family.....

A mutual friend of ours (Lance) sent this to me almost 1 year ago when I had to say goodbye to my Kali-Girl...This poem made me feel so much better so I would like to share it with all of you.....Tracy

Beyond the Rainbow

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,

I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.

I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free,

Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side,

Were meadows rich and beautiful-lush green and wide.

And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see

Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be.

My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new.

And I wanted to go run with them, but I knew I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright.

That this place is truly wonderful, and then a bright glow pierced the night.

Twas the glow of many candles, shining bright and strong and bold.

And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,

We are still connected by a cord no one else can see.

So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart.

If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

Diana said...

Oh my..I read this with many tears. She was a beautiful dog. I dread when this day comes for our Maxie. I am saying a prayer for all of you. Hugs!!

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

SO very sorry for your loss. There are just no words!!! Our dog is getting pretty old too and his legs are getting stiff. We know one day we will have to say goodbye and that makes us so sad! You all are in my prayers!
Blessings and Joy!

Robin said...

Oh I know exactly how you feel. We had a beloved Yorkshire Terrier that was with us for 13 years. We still miss her.


Hugs and Blessings,
Robin

Laura said...

Oh, Diana, I am so very sorry for your loss.

Heather said...

I cried...outright, ugly cry...when I read this. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Di, we are dog people and we lost our beloved pets two years ago within one month of each other. I was heartbroken. Our furbabies are our babies and we love them. Plain as that...I pray peace for your hearts and memories to comfort and bless you.

I love you
Heather

Jenny said...

Not even much of an animal-lover and I'm crying for sweet Caymus right now. So sorry for your loss, Diana. Praying for you guys.

Katrina said...

So very sorry!!! They are the best friends forever...

Dita said...

My heart breaks for you, Diana....I will forever remember a similar day with my beloved golden retriever.

The love your Caymus gave you will be with you always...just remember to feel her there are your feet and she will be there.

Big hugs....
Dita

katrina said...

I am so sad. My dog was my first child too. I understand and you are in my prayers.

Sharing Life and Love said...

Oh No. I just read this. I am so sorry for your loss of Caymus. What precious memories you have. They sure do add a lot to a family, don't they.

May the memories give you comfort.
Xo
Erin

Kristi said...

Just found your blog again through one of my blogging buddies. So sorry to read about your loss.

Susan said...

Tonight I am sobbing again as I read this. I read this post shortly after you wrote it never dreaming I would be standing in your shoes just a few short weeks later. We lost our 11 1/2 year old "baby before babies" at 5:33 am this morning. She was always by my side, a constant companion, faithful, never holding a grudge and even kind to all the vets and medical techs sticking her and hurting her while trying to save her life. I look around our home and see her water bowl, her blanket, pillow, the spoon on the counter that fed her the last meal she ate. I am broken but I know the lions will lie down with the lambs and His eye is on the sparrow so I know He's watching her. Thanks for sharing about Caymus. Our sweet girl's name was Annie Goat. Maybe they are meeting for the first time..

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive