Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 9/11/01



Today I was going to start my Ruby Tuesday updates for the sole purpose of tracking her milestones as a journal for Ruby as well as her Grandparents that are all long distance. But, since it is the sixth anniversary of 9/11 it just didn't seem appropriate to kick it off today.

This day will always be a sobering reminder to me of being a new Mom with a three month old. September 11th, 2001 was to be my first day back to work after twelve weeks of maternity leave. In fact Ainsley and I had plane tickets to travel to Minneapolis for the week so I could work at our home office. My Mom was scheduled to fly in from Texas to meet me, and take care of Ainsley for the week. My highschool friends had a baby shower planned for us during that trip too.

Instead, I sat with the rest of the world holding my newborn and watching the second tower fall in horror. The reality of the tragedy was devastating. I remember questioning how could I bring a baby into this world of hatred and unrest.

We didn't travel that day, but we did head to MSP that following Saturday. I remember Jeff as a new father, and protective husband, watching us walk through security at the Nashville airport while armed gaurds stood by. Since we had to be two hours early and the airport was empty we went to an airport restaurant to wait for our plane. This is where I met two wonderful men who were sitting together at a table with their bibles open. They must have seen in my eyes the fear of flying with a newborn after such a tragedy. They approached me to ask what I was doing, and where I was going with my new baby. I remember telling them how terrible I felt that I was flying to MSP for a baby shower when so many people were suffering because of the loss of loved ones. These two special people told me in times of tragedy, it is a blessing for others to celebrate life too! Then they asked of they could pray for us. I had never had anyone ask me this. They prayed for our safety that day. I will always be grateful to those two men for the comfort they gave to this perfect stranger that day.
Today I will send that newborn off to first grade, and I will be starting my third year of BSF where we are studying the book of Matthew this year. And, I will pause to pray for those who are grieving for loved ones lost on that horrific day. I will pray for protection for my kids and Jeff, and hopefully I will pause to pray for a stranger who just looks like they need a friend today.

Blessings to you and your loved ones!
Diana

5 comments:

jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing. We all remember what we were doing that horrible morning.

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

A day that will never be forgotten, I think that day changed everything for us.

Ladybug hugs,
Debbie

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Thank you for remembering...It was one of those pivotal moments for everyone.

Hope BSF will be a great study this year.

Love,
Lisa

Tracy said...

Beautiful post. May we never forget all of those innocent people who lost their lives that day.

Beth said...

What an important message those two gentlemen delivered that day. Thank you for sharing and reminding us all that in the midst of such horror, it is also important to remember and honor the special gifts in our lives as well. How heart-warming to hear stories of people like them.

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive