Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Blessings in the wait.....


It is hard for me to believe that two years ago at this time, I did not even know this precious face.  It was a time of great distraction for me as I waited to see if 10/24/05 would be included in the next round of referrals from China.  It was a time that I was 100% consumed with being "on deck."  March 5th, 2007 we would get the call that changes lives and creates families.  It was a very special day, and I look forward to celebrating our second year with Ruby Mei soon.

Today I reflect on families in the process that are still waiting to know the child that God has chosen for them in China.  To put the wait in perspective, in the almost two years since we received "the call," the CCAA has referred four months and one week of logged in families.  Yes, you read that right...  As of today, families with a log in date of 3/2/06 and beyond still have not been matched with a child.  It has quickly gone from a 17 month wait to an excruciating 36 months.  There are truly no words to express my sorrow about that.  The blessing is of course that the "Waiting Child" program has grown and many many children have come home to forever families in the past two years.  Thank you CCAA for that...

I received great advice while I was waiting for Her Rubiness.   It was to record the blessings in the wait.  There were many.  And, after now being home almost 2 years with our precious girl, the blessings continue.  Many of them I record here now.   

For those of you that read this blog that are waiting for your child's referral from China, I am praying for you and the process.  I hope you find encouragement here.  I hope you will take the time to record the blessings in your wait, and what you are learning about yourself in the process.  And, when you finally see the face of the child chosen for you, I pray your prayers will be answered above and beyond what you could have ever hoped for.  I look forward to celebrating with you!

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."  
~Mulan

24 comments:

Pam said...

Thank you for your beautiful post. It came at just the right time. We have been logged into China for 25 months. Sometimes there seems to be no end in sight. Especially for my 7 year old Sarah who wants nothing more than to be a big sister. Thank you for your website. It is very comforting to many of us.

Pam Melang

Debbie said...

Your blog was such an encouragement to me as we waited 31+ months to see our Lily!! Keep up the great work as your story is truly an inspiration to so many ..
and happy almost-two-years of seeing Ruby's precious face.

Love from California --

Debbie

Stefanie said...

What an inspiring post... I LOVE the idea of capturing 'blessings in the wait'. I am sure your words speak to the hearts of many parents waiting WAY too long to see their child's face for the first time :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Diana, for remembering all of us who still wait and for your kind words. I do try to remember my blessings each day and what I am learning through all of this but a reminder is helpful, especially from someone who has been there. Thank you also for bringing us hope through your adorable Ruby Mei.
Love, Dale LID 5/24/09

Christy said...

I remember this week right now Oh so well. We knew we were up becuae we were 10/17/05 and we knew in a week or so we would see our mia's face for the first time-- and then we were skipped. God had it all under control but that was the hardest thing I ever had to go through. I remember seeing Ruby's face and wanting to celebrate with you and all my other Oct DTC friends who were getting their referrals but being so crushed that we were skipped. It all turned out as it was meant to turn out. All the waiting parents need to know that God has it under control-even when we think everything is out of control. Trust and have faith- Your little ones will come!!

Chrsity :)

Sharon said...

Wow!! We were logged in 11 months AFTER the current date. I too SO feel for those waiting it out.

Judi said...

Thank you for your kind post! We are with AWAA with a log in date of 11-22-06. We've waited 27 months so far with no end in sight. I know it will be worth it when Haleigh finally comes home. We also try to look at all our blessings and we know that God is in control of the timing. It will happen in His timing! And until then I enjoy the blogs of those who already are home!

Amy said...

Your blog was always such a source of encouragement and joy during our wait. We now have our precious little girl, sooooooooo worth the wait. Thank you

Amy

Beth said...

So nice to read your blog...and this post...and to also see all the others out there waiting like we are!...I feel like the little engine that could, but some days I am not sure I can anymore! But it is nice to know we are not alone!
Beth
LID 3/6/07

Joy said...

Diana,
I have followed your blog for such a long time. Thank you for todays post. It is amazing how each week God sends something my way to encourge me to keep waiting..with a happy heart. Your post was that for me today! I love reading about your girls. They are treasures!

Joy
LID 3/29/06
waiting for Sarah Mei

3 Peanuts said...

What a great encouraging post Di! There are many blessings in the wait...you just have to be able to recognize them...which is the tough part.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I know that each day I wait, God is still in control and that is what has gotten me through the last 3 years. Our dossier went to China Feb. 13, 2006 and we are coming up on our 3 year wait on March 7, 2006. I really do not think we will make this batch, I am okay with that as long as they get through the 6th then I can say "I'm next". I know that it will be worth the wait when her precious face I see. Thanks again for the prayers they are felt daily!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I know that each day I wait, God is still in control and that is what has gotten me through the last 3 years. Our dossier went to China Feb. 13, 2006 and we are coming up on our 3 year wait on March 7, 2006. I really do not think we will make this batch, I am okay with that as long as they get through the 6th then I can say "I'm next". I know that it will be worth the wait when her precious face I see. Thanks again for the prayers they are felt daily!!!

Martha said...

Diana,
I just want to thank you for your web page. Your girls are beautiful and you are so articulate with your words. You don't know who I am, but I came across your site while checking the blogs of a couple other families who have adopted from China. These families know a good friend of mine who adopted a beautiful baby girl from Colombia. I was wondering if I could ask you the name of the adoption agency you used and if you were pleased with how they treated you during the whole process? I was looking for it somewhere on your blog page, but could not find it. This is the only way I could find to contact you. I hope you don't mind. I would appreciate any information you could share with me.

Sarah said...

Thank you for your sweet comments on we picture this regarding my photos of my daughter with the cottage cheese. I'm such a novice... that your encouragement means a lot to me. Thank you. :)

redmaryjanes said...

Diana,

You blog is just beautiful and so are your darling girls.

I too am praying for the waiting families and the women who struggle every day with this wait.

LaLa said...

It really is so crazy...this wait. When we logged in (2/21/05) we only waited 6.5 months for referral. I can't imagine how hard it is now. We waited 25 months for our referral from Vietnam so I have a little bit of an idea...but wow, the waiting is so hard! I am so glad we all can support each other.

amybeth said...

I have followed your blog for the past two years and have been so encouraged by your sweet girls. It will be 30 months on March 5th since our dossier was logged in. The wait has been beyond hard- but we are confident that the Lord has our Kate picked out for us- so we wait with hope. I love your idea of writing down the blessing while we wait. Our biggest blessing was the unexpected pregnancy and birth of Kate's big brother- who is now two. The Lord is faithful- I know that every time I look into his eyes- and I know I will know that the first time I get to hold Kate. Thank you for your blog. It has been such an encouragement to me.
Amybeth

Dan and Karen said...

What a beautiful post Diana! I so remember how much encouragemet your blog gave me during the wait. I used to dream of someday holding my own little "Ruby Mei" after seeing your referral, travel and coming home photos. Now that I have my precious Danika I still love to keep up with your blog. It's hard to believe we could be so blessed with our little ones!

Blessings,

Karen

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for your inspiring post.We love the idea of writing down our blessings as we wait to welcome our daughter home.Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

3 Countries 1 Love said...

I am a longtime lurker...but I just wanted to say that Ruby looks so grown up in this picture!

It's so hard to imagine what it's like to wait for 3+ years to see your child's face for the first time. I received my first referral during one of the quickest referral times in China adoption history (5.5 months) and really can't fathom the heartache the families feel having to wait so long. Your post regarding this is so eloquently written...

Shannon
mom to 3....two of whom are from China

Rebecca Lily said...

BEAUTIFUL. There are so many blessings to be found, even during that painful & difficult wait! This was a wonderful post.

AmyO said...

What a stunning picture of Ruby - she's so sweet. Congrats on your 2 year referral anniversary coming up - ours will be in April - seems like we were in China just yesterday.

katrina said...

Thank you for your beautiful post. My husband and I are LID 3/26/07
I sometimes have sad moments while we wait but most days I find hope and I look forward to the day we can bring our daughter home. I enjoy your blog and your beutiful family.

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive