Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!


2006

Today is my Daddy's 82nd birthday!  What a blessing this man has been to me!  Although he lives too far away, he is not a long distance Dad or Grandpa.  He loves his girls!  I chose this photo, because it will be the one I cherish always.  Taken on a carefree day at our lake house the summer before Ruby arrived.  It was so fitting that she came in to our lives (tomorrow) as a belated birthday gift for her Grandpa.

The day we told my Dad we were going to adopt from China, I didn't know what to expect...  They had just landed from TX, and Jeff and I took them to a restaurant to share our news.  We didn't want Ainsley to tell them first.  My Dad was sitting across from me...  He lept out of his chair with tears of joy in his eyes, and hugged me.  This is how he has always reacted throughout my life.  With support and love.  A huge cheerleader, mentor, and friend.

Thank you Dad for sharing with me the importance of loving un-conditionally.  Even when it's not easy.  Thank you for sharing with me the gift of helping others, and for putting family first.  Thank you for sharing your sense of humor, and all things kind.  I wish you had shared your singing voice with me too!  But, we will leave that for Ainsley!

Grandpa has a very special bond with his granddaughters.  I will treasure the footage I have of you with Ainsley as you sing and dance to "Singing in the Rain."  Your relationship with her is... special!  I will treasure the way you carry around photos of Ainsley & Ruby and share them with anyone who will look.  I will treasure the joy that your little girls bring you, even across the miles.  Thank you for being so proud of them!  

You have blessed me greatly Dad!  Happy Birthday!

I love you!
Diana

9 comments:

Stefanie said...

What an amazing man you have to call Dad :) I love the story of how he reacted with such excitement and love when you told him about adopting from China, he obviously loves his little girl... AND his granddaughters!
Hope he has a fantastic birthday!!

emilyb said...

What an amazing and loving dad you have! Truly a gift from God to have him in you and your girls lives. Ainsley looks so happy sitting with him in the picture and you can see the love between them!

Emily

Love Being A Nonny said...

*Thank you for being so proud of them* is such a sweet way of putting it. Happy day to your dad! I can tell how much you love him. I know he is proud of YOU!

Amy said...

It is 7:45 am here in Seattle and your post gave me a good morning cry. Such a sweet post and dad. Hope he has a great day.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a very amazing and loving dad. What a wonderful gift! And what a great story of his reaction to your news of adopting. It brought tears to my eyes! Happy birthday to your Dad!

Sarah said...

What a beautiful post! Sounds like a wonderful man to call your daddy!!

I don't post often but read regularly. What a beautiful family you have!

snekcip said...

Oh the joys of a DADDY!! This post makes me reminisce of the days I spent w/my father as a little girl (my dad passed away when I was 10)! I can vividly remember us having a "date" every Saturday as we caught the city bus to eat lunch in a downtown dept store! Long gone are the stores, but the memories will stay w/me a lifetime! Thanks for the "trip back down memory lane"! Your girls are so blessed to have a wonderful granpa, because you were DEFINITELY BLESSED to have a WONDERFUL DAD!!! I send your wonderful and endearing father a very sincere HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Tracy said...

Your Dad sounds awesome!! Happy birthday to your Dad!

Dawn S. said...

Aww, that is so sweet and he sounds sweet! My dad turns 82 this year, too! :)

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive

Blog Archive