Saturday, May 8, 2010

Celebrating The Gift of Her Rubiness!





There has been a great deal of conversation lately amongst the adoption community about celebrating what some refer to as "Gotcha Day." It is true, not all of these much anticipated days are happy. Those of you who followed our journey to Sienna know they can be a mix of joy and heartbreak. So, as we were looking at this day, the third anniversary of Ruby Tuesday I decided to ask Ruby if she would like to celebrate... Her response was "yes!" Can I have a balloon and a special dessert?

So today we will celebrate our special little girl with balloons and strawberry shortcake! We will celebrate the plan that God had for Ruby Mei. And, we will continue to pray that one day she will understand why this is her story... Her Rubiness has brought more joy and energy to one house than you could ever dream of. She is smart, funny, dramatic, passionate, competitive, happy and deeply loved. To me there is no difference in the way she came into my arms. She has made me love deeper, and she has taught me definitely more than I will ever teach her.

But, perhaps one of the greatest gifts we have been blessed to give Ruby this year is the gift of a sister who shares a piece of her story.. And, God blessed me with this last night as I was tucking Sienna in... Sienna crawled across her bed to Ruby.. She gently kissed her on the cheek while Ruby was sleeping and softly told her, "I love you Mei Mei..." As I choked back the tears of this precious moment, it came to me that these girls were born to be sisters. You see, Ruby may have more questions than I can answer one day. But, without a doubt I do believe that her destiny was to be in our family. This was not a random match. God new from the beginning, that Yue Meng Ru was going to be Ruby Mei R. and that she would change our hearts forever! So, that is what I choose to celebrate today! It will always be one of the most special days of my life. And, if one day Ruby does not want to celebrate this anniversary, we will respect that. But, I will always quietly give thanks for one of the most God ordained moments Jeff and I have ever shared.

"For I know the plans I have for you declares
the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
~Jeremiah 29:11

Blessings,

28 comments:

Amy said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! What a precious girl. We have a Jiangxi girl also.

Have a wonderful day celebrating.

Amy

Amy said...

Oh Diana...Happy Rubyversary!

What beautiful photographs of your first precious moments together with your one and only Ruby Mei...what treasure!

And Sienna's goodnight kiss and "I love you" for her little sister...oh, there are no words... my heart is SO FULL...

Every best wish for today and every day.

With Love and Prayers,
Amy

Laurie said...

Love those first pictures- she was so tiny! We do the same at our house- ask the kids how they feel about celebrating- as long as they excitedly say yes, we have big celebrations! :) Enjoy! Oh- and the goodnight kiss story was just precious!

Shower of blessings! said...

Sweet post...deep words...special occasion. Happy 3rd Gotcha Anniversary! I'll take the opportunity to wish you a very special & happy Mother's Day! Blessings, Diana

Julie said...

Oh happy day! I remember your special day and where was three years ago when I read it! And I can see your house filled with joy because of this little one. Was she really that small? Many blessings to all of you as you celebrate!

Snickerdoodle said...

Your post made me cry, especially when Sienna kissed a sleeping Ruby and told her she loved her. sniffle.............so sweet!

Best,
Snick :)

Stefanie said...

What a little angel she is!!
Many blessings as you celebrate the precious gift of her Rubiness!!
Like you, we have seen what a gift a sibling can be... truly an unexpected blessing above and beyond being entrusted to raise a precious little life to know the Lord :)
Lots of love!

katrina said...

I remember Ruby Tuesday very well. My husband and I had recently started the China adoption program. I had just discovered the My Adoption Website and Ruby’s story was the first that I followed. Over the last three years I have enjoyed watching her grow and often when I became discouraged by the slowness of our adoption process I would go back and read her story. My husband and I recently returned from China with our daughter. Caroline was also fromJiangxi Province. I agree with your post. We too will celebrate gotcha today until Caroline no longer wants to and I too will also always give thanks to God on March 28th for bringing this beautiful baby into our lives.

the meaklims said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

I really think that giving ruby and sienna each other is a tremendous gift. Truly. I believe there is nothing more special than having a sibling.

YES, God prepared your family so many years ago, before the world even began, isn't it amazing. And I believe this special day is worth celebrating, in fact, it is worth celebrating every single day. :)

I had tears reading about Sienna kissing little Ruby. I don't know how you choked back the tears.

Hugs and happy day!
Jill

Ginny said...

Beautiful!

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

I have been so blessed for every time you have acknowledged the Lord during your journeys to Ruby and Sienna. He has been glorified through all of you.

Enjoy this wonderful weekend!

Love,
Ginny

Bridget said...

Miss Ruby is a gift to everyone who meets her!!! We are so happy to call her our friend! I love seeing the pictures of the first day you met your sweet girl!!There is nothing like that feeling of excitement, joy and love- I remember it so well! So happy that you are celebrating that today!! I love that Ruby has Sienna as her sister - they will always share a special bond!! Your girls are right where they were meant to be!!

Give Ruby a big kiss from us!!! Let her know we miss her and love her!

xoxo

B, Rich and Lucy

Big Happy Family said...

Love the Goodnight Kiss!
Happy Rubiness Day, have a fabulous day!
And a great Mom's Day tomorrow....
So much to be thankful for.

Staci said...

Beautifully said. Happy Anniversary!

runninggal said...

Happy 3rh Gotcha Day! Those first pictures are soooooo sweet. I love her eyes and that tiny smile. Ruby is too sweet.

That part of Sienna saying goodnight made me cry! You have three little angels there. God bless and enjoy tomorrow!

Sharyn

sierrasmom said...

Beautifully put!! Your story of the other night brought me to tears!! Happy Anniversary!!

Robin said...

I so agree with this post. I too know without a doubt that Clara Beth and Emanuiel were chosen by God to be brother and sister. I am so blessed to be their mother and for those reasons as long as they want to, we will also celebrate.

Lovely pictures, they grow so fast!


Blessings,
Robin

W,M,M,A Davis said...

So sweet! Happy Gotcha Day Anniversary!

Unknown said...

Perfectly written! Whatever works best for your family is what matters! What a sweet and touching story of Sienna and Ruby! Happy Anniversary to Sweet Ruby!

Jennifer said...

Love the post!

Ruby, like my children, views her "Gotcha Day" as a happy occassion. Why not celebrate!?!

She was meant to be right where she is with her loving forever family. Give thanks to God and celebrate.

Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Jennifer

Much Ado said...

Happy "Ruby Tuesday"!!! Beautiful, beautiful post, I had tears in my eyes reading the whole way through. I remember following your journey to Ruby - what a treasure and joy she is. (we also got our photo taken at the same sign just 7 months ago). And how beautiful to see all the sisters on your blog and their love for each other - God is SO good.

Jane (Oct DTCer)

Natalie said...

Loved your perspective on this.

The story of Sienna kissing Ruby is precious.

Football and Fried Rice said...

THAT SMILE on that day!!! I remember how absolutely breathtaking Ruby was (& is!!) I understand what the "fuss" is all about and I do understand how it was not a day "anticipated" by Ruby, or Sienna, or Mya - but for us (for you & Jeff), for me & my husband, for many other families - it was a day, a moment, we'll never forget! And will always celebrate - even if silently in our hearts!!

TanyaLea said...

I remember following your journey, so well! The very first story I had followed to China, and I read every entry on your travel blog. LOVE that precious Ruby Mei... she will always hold a special place in my heart! Can't wait to get our girls together this summer. Only TWO MORE SLEEPS and we're off to bring our precious daughter home!! :) YEAH! Thanks for all your prayers, support and encouragement along the way!

Happy Mother's Day! :)

Love,
Tanya

Dan and Karen said...

Thank you for this Diana, I read some of the "adoption talk" too and started to feel terrible for celebrating our wonderful anniversary with Miss D, but I didn't want to be sad or feel gulity, to me it is a day above all others and I want to celebrate it to the fullest! It doesn't always have to be a big celebration or fanfare but I want to have the day honored. Thanks for posting "the other side of the story" and WE will celebrate!

I can't beleive how little Miss Ruby was! I love the photos! Your posts from China kept me going as I was waiting for my own precious China blessing.

Love and blessings!

Karen

Anonymous said...

So beautifully said Dianna!

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

I am completely covered in chills... what a beautifully written post. Blessings to you all on this special day! The part of your post that blessed me the most was God knowing from the beginning how all this would play out... your girls having each other and their stories intertwining. That is my prayer for my girls... EK & SJ... they will both have stories and they will have each other to understand the journey. They were born to be sisters and I long for the day when they are united!!! Thanks for sharing!
XO,
Sharon

jennifer said...

I love this post. I remember Ruby Tuesday 3 years ago!! What a special day. Happy (late) Ruby Tuesday!!

3 Peanuts said...

Happy Ruby Tuesday. I am so sorry I have missed these last few posts. I have not really been on the blogs. Sounds like you had a perfect celebration of God's plan.

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive