Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Very Special Purse!


You may recall the photo above.. This is when "Tung Tung" arrived quietly by elevator into the Civil Affairs office in Hunan. She had no idea that the three people she was staring down had just had their hearts stop at the sheer presence of her. No longer a picture, but a little four year old about to unwillingly say goodbye to the life she new that day. "Tung Tung" arrived to us wearing many of the care package items we had sent, including, the "doggie purse."

Once we were able to settle Sienna down and remove her coat and multiple layers, we took off the purse too. She never fussed about it or asked for it again... We quietly took everything to the cleaners in China because honestly it smelled so bad. The smoke was so imbedded in most of her things. It still lingers on her clothes from Hengshan today. Since returning home most of her things have been set aside for keepsakes. Until yesterday....

Yesterday afternoon I was at the mall with the girls. To get to our car we had to walk through the store where I bought the "doggie" purse. They had the Spring version.. An adorable white scottie that she immediately grabbed off the hook and put over her shoulder, messenger bag style... Like the photo above. Somehow I got her to leave the store without a temper tantrum and without that dog. What she did not know is that I had bought it to save for her birthday in July. But, the entire ride home she asked for the "doggie purse." When we got home I decided to go into her China things and re-introduce her favorite accessory. And, I am so glad I did. But, also glad that I waited until now.. It was a precious moment. She was so excited. And, she said..."Mommy sent to me in China.. Thank you!" She quickly got her favorite (and mine too) photo of "Tung Tung" in China from my office... With Ainsley's help she asked me to take her picture with her purse on our front step... The last one here is of her re-playing kissing our family photo in China...

So somewhere in that little beautiful mind of Sienna's I believe she did know we were coming for her... She has grieved her life in Hengshan in such healthy ways... And, I am so proud of the way she has processed, accepted us and has slowly begun to move on. It's a daily process for her/us. But, God has given Sienna a quality that I can only describe by using the word grace. She has a strength that comes from within. She also has the gift of forgiveness and acceptance. Together, they are a beautiful package.

Slowly we will reveal more of Sienna's past in China to her... One step at a time.. On one special girls schedule... The only schedule that truly matters... our beautiful daughter's, Sienna Grace.


19 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Di..I love this story. She is SO full of grace. Just like her Mommy!

johnjohntwo said...

Sienna, without question, a loving God selected the perfect Forever-Family for you to join. I cannot fathom the amount of courage it took to step off that elevator into a strange new world. I go back to that photo quite often and wonder, with all the problems in the universe to consider, how God took the time to assure your Forever-Family was perfect. He obviously did !

Kim said...

Diana,
What a joy to see her growing and growing! She seems to be doing so very well. God is so GOOD!

Unknown said...

This is a great story. I love hearing about her and the transition. She is changing before our eyes! What joy! What a great God story!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Precious post! What a long way she has come. Just think, she is your forever! What a gift!

Robyn said...

What a precious story. I just had the discussion with my girls today that in John Asher's time we will share his story with him about his life in China. I had to explain to them that it is not their responsibility to share with him about his beginnings, but as he grows God will reveal to us his perfect timing. Sienna has processed the changes in her life beautifully and again I am reminded that God gives us a peace beyond all understanding - as evidenced in your beautiful daughter.

Big Happy Family said...

That is the sweetest little moment ever! Thank you for sharing. I still love that little picture of her staring down the hall at Civil Affairs.

Jenn said...

Sweet Sienna! She has come such a long way. What a journey. With Karleigh Mei being home almost a year and a half, there are still little layers being revealed. She is beginning to talk a bit more about China and her orphanage. Just little bits. I'll take whatever I can get, whenever she's ready.

I love the last pic of Sienna with her sweet ear peeking through her hair. Karleigh Mei's does this and I love it!!

Blessings!
Jenn

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh my gosh - I love this story! I have to agree with Kim -Sienna ALREADY seems to carry herself in the same way that you do - so graceful and precious! I am so thankful that The Lord opened Sienna Grace's heart - in China - and NOW, a little more every day!

Denise said...

Oh Diana, this post is beautiful...how come I end of crying every time I am here? Seriously, what a blessing Sienna is, and you are right, slowly we have to share with them about their lives before us, and with God's help hopefully the hurt can be healed...Happy Sunday~

Debbie said...

oh my goodness ... tears of joy & just amazed at the incredible gift of God's grace in her little life!!!

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

What a sweet story! I could feel your heart in every word. God is so good to offer us such beautiful opportunities to share with our children. Love it!
Blessings!

jennifer said...

That is so sweet! What a wonderful story!!

ellieshine said...

I love this! What a sweet girl you have been blessed with. She will love the new puppy purse :)

Michelle said...

Amazing!

Sherry said...

What an amazing little girl!!!

Mei Mei s and Mayhem said...

So precious!!! Just love her smile!!

waiting4lexi@gmail.com said...

Courage, Grace, Beauty, Love... she has it all!! Lexi is crazy about purses and and will carry it everywhere including the park and the pool. I would love to find a little doggie purse for her. She has the gymboree poodle and scottie but she doesnt care for it because she likes long handles not the little short handbag type her's have. If you wouldn't mind sharing where these can be purchased I'd love to know :)
Mary

Jennifer said...

What a precious post...I could not hold back the tears!!!! What a precious treasure:) God is good!

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive