Thursday, October 23, 2008
Thankful Thursday!

Today I am thankful for the beautiful little girl that is pictured here. The Pearl is only seven years old, but in so many ways she seems older than that to me. Yesterday, I heard a country song that brought tears to my eyes.. It was about how quickly our kids want to grow up way too fast. It was called, "You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins.. I hope Ainsley will miss:
-Drinking chocolate milk on the couch in the morning
-Letting me help her pick out what to wear for school
-Hating when I try to brush her hair...
-Bedtime Stories
-Being tucked in at night
-Rushing to school together
-The daily reminders of the things she knows to do...
-Me telling her not to forget to say thank you!
-Negotiating with me about piano practice
-Running errands with me
-Asking me if she can have a snack
-Being frustrated with me for going over her spelling words again
-Rolling her eyes at me when I sing, "This is the day the Lord has made, Let us be glad and rejoice in it..."
-Driving to school with me as her bus driver
-Watching Dora for the 100th time with her sister in the car
-Having her picture taken way too often
-Asking the sweetest questions because even at 7 so many things are new
-Tipping over in the canoe on a beautiful fall day!
For some reason when I took this photo the reality of this big responsibility of being her Mom struck me. She inspires me to want to be a better parent and role model. I am very thankful that she let's me make mistakes as her Mom. She has allowed me to practice on her. Not all of it has been pretty! I know I have a lot of room for improvement! It is a privilege to raise this special little girl. And, let's be clear, it is a challenge some days too. But, what a gift she is, and I am grateful that God has trusted me to "raise her in the way she should go..."
So, on this thankful Thursday, I am thankful for the one we call "The Pearl!"
"You've been handed a piece of history in advance...
A gracious gift you send to a time you will not see...."
~Dr. Tim Kimmell, Author of Grace Based Parenting
Blessings,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(179)
-
▼
October
(18)
- Thankful Thursday!
- Wordless Wednesday!
- Pumpkins & "More Party Please"
- Thankful Thursday!
- Wordless Wednesday!
- Ruby Tuesday Ramblings.....
- Tippy Canoe!
- The Leaves are Falling!!!!
- "Flickr Sisters!"
- Flickr Success!
- Honey Crisp of a Day - 2008!!!!
- Faithful Friday!
- Wordless Wednesday!
- Twirling in Tulle!
- Little Grandma! & Grandparent's Day!
- The Red Thread Friends go to Lake Elmo...
- Photoshop Motivation
- A little blog therapy today!! Oh, and vote please...
-
▼
October
(18)
Blogs I Try to Keep Up With!
-
God's Got Her3 weeks ago
-
Melting into July~4 weeks ago
-
Destin Day 45 years ago
-
-
The Fourth7 years ago
-
What I have read lately7 years ago
-
-
{Happy Birthday to you...}8 years ago
-
-
Flood Part 4: Shelter Living9 years ago
-
-
Celebrating 2 Years With "Sweet Colin"11 years ago
-
Hilton Head ~ 201412 years ago
-
-
DON'T EVER QUIT !!!12 years ago
-
Adoption
Blog Archive
- 2014 (10)
- 2013 (57)
- 2012 (153)
- 2011 (205)
- 2010 (182)
- 2009 (181)
-
2008
(179)
- December(23)
- November(20)
-
October(18)
- Thankful Thursday!
- Wordless Wednesday!
- Pumpkins & "More Party Please"
- Thankful Thursday!
- Wordless Wednesday!
- Ruby Tuesday Ramblings.....
- Tippy Canoe!
- The Leaves are Falling!!!!
- "Flickr Sisters!"
- Flickr Success!
- Honey Crisp of a Day - 2008!!!!
- Faithful Friday!
- Wordless Wednesday!
- Twirling in Tulle!
- Little Grandma! & Grandparent's Day!
- The Red Thread Friends go to Lake Elmo...
- Photoshop Motivation
- A little blog therapy today!! Oh, and vote please...
- September(15)
- August(10)
- July(13)
- June(10)
- May(14)
- April(13)
- March(10)
- February(19)
- January(14)
- 2007 (91)

24 comments:
What a beautiful girl and beautiful picture! Yes, time goes so fast. A couple weeks ago Jordan had a piece of glass in his foot he asked me to get out. It took an hour but I actually enjoyed it as I held his feet in my hands. I so rarely get the chance to do anything for him anymore as he is driving and this transition from boy to man is hard....I was thankful for the chance to just be needed by him...it gets less and less!
What a beautiful picture of your sweet girl. It is an amazing journey we are on with them : )
What a sweet post! She sounds like an incredible daughter and sister to Ruby. Have a wonderful thankful day!
Janet
What an incredibly sweet post! I'm incredibly nostalgic this week about parenting as my oldest turned 17. God gave us precious gifts in our children, and thankfully He's right there next to us as we raise them.
Diana,
This is such a beautiful post, and I could duplicate it almost down the line for our own sweet Ladybug.
Parenting, at least for me, has been the job I wanted all of my life; however, there are days where I am afraid of what my "job review" would be that day, but I am grateful for each new day to try my absolute best once again.
Thank you for such a poignant post!
Meg
Hi sweet friend,
What a beautiful post. I love the words to that song. I know it is easy to get overwhelmed by the incredible responsibility of parenting. However, never forget you have the ultimate parent right next to you on this journey!
Love you~
Lis
What a sweet post, and such a beautiful picture. I love that song by Trace Adkins. I love your list of everyday things. I know we will miss those things when they're older!
They do grow up so very quickly(my Anna Kayla is proof of that)! What great gifts we have been given. Even during the challenging times.
Blessings,
Robin
Oh Diana -what a beautiful young lady and what a beautiful post. It echoed what I feel in my own heart about my sweet Emily. Thank you for sharing the tenderness of your parenting the pearl, you are blessed to have one another.
Love,
Heather
Diana,
That is just beautiful (all of it.... the photo and the pearl and the words your wrote).You are such a good Mom! it shines thorugh in all that you do.
Hugs,
kim
P.S. Harry and WIll say hi and Harry smiled at the photo of Ainsley:)
You have such beautiful girls! I love checking in on your blog. I have followed your journey way back on myadoptionwebsite. YOu helped me through my very long wait for my daughter. Thank you.
Such a beautiful pearl!!! Loved reading your list of things you will miss!
Ainsley is SO beautiful! What a joy she must be as a daughter and big sister! :)
What a true 'gem' you have there!! This is such a sweet post and a great reminder to appreciate the wee little things that we can so easily overlook. That's a great song and I LOVE the quote!! :)
I LOVE that song too....What a beautiful post and oh so true for so many of us!! Your Pearl is beautiful!!
I think this photo captures Ainsleys spirit.
She is sunshine.
She is breathtakingly beautiful!!! Thank goodness we get to practice being parents and that our older kids are so forgiving and patient-- I feel the same way about my 10 year old--- he has been the total parenting experiment!
She is beautiful!!
Christy :)
Diana, she is so beautiful! She has grown up so much. I guess it's becoming such a great big sister!
love to you 4,
Shauna
What a stunning little girl she is and your words brought tears to my eyes.
I just know you are an awesome mommy to the Pearl.
What a beautiful little girl and a beautiful post!!
your post made me think of a precious book by Karen Kingsbury titled, "Let Me Hold You Longer." Time flies...if we knew when would be the last time we'd rock our baby to sleep...wouldn't we hold on a little longer?? It's a precious reminder to make the most of each moment.
What precious memories you have made with your sweetie!
Angie
This is beautiful! A beautiful picture and a beautiful list of memories! As a parent, it is so easy to get caught up in the rigor of each day and forget to take in all of the memories. Thanks for reminding me to NOT take things forgranted!
~Lynn
What a beautiful post!! So much of it sounded like I could have written it for Leila.
What a beautiful photo, too.
Beautiful posts - it brought tears to my eyes (as did the lines from the song!) Ainsley is such a great child!