Monday, March 15, 2010

Today...

We survived day one of Baba and Jie Jie back to work and school. It started out pretty rough. Sienna was devastated when Jeff took Ainsley to school. It took a good 3o minutes for her to rally. She gets so frustrated when things don't go her way. But already we are learning to just let her go. She allows me to pick her up when she is upset, which I think is so positive. In China she would just push us away...

I had my first taste of what it will be like to get out the door with "The Littles!" (Or, Thing 1 and Thing 2 as we lovingly refer to them sometimes!) I seriously did not get it together until 11:00 today! How do those of you with twins get anywhere on time?! I will take any tips you want to send my way! Just when I thought the car seat was going to be a non-issue with her, we almost had our first Officer Wilson meeting!!! Yes, washer board back, and mad as a hornet to be in her seat from the grocery store to Ruby's pre-school... Even Ruby had to cover her ears. That should give you an idea of how Sienna can light it up!!! Poor thing.... I hung tough, dropped Ruby off and went to Jeff's office. Once we got out of the car for a while she was fine. She went back into her car seat after our lunch like nothing had ever happened!!!

When we got home, she and I were having a great afternoon until she got her foot stuck in our couch... She was screaming "LaLa" at me. I had no clue what was going on, and I didn't realize she was stuck.... Well, once I did and pulled it out, she started laughing at me like what part of "Help" don't you understand? I know now that Lala means pull!!! As in pull my foot out of this couch Mama!!! Good grief, poor Sienna has got to be wondering what in the world is going on!

Speaking of communication.... Everyone told me she would catch on to English quickly.. Well you were not kidding... She is a sponge!!! Today, she shared all sorts of waves and byes to people we ran into. Our extrovert is starting to surface. What I am pleased to see, is that she stays close.... And, constantly checks to see where I am.

I am getting lots of Mama's now, which I love. She is making me work for the kisses though. The Jie Jie gets all of those!!!! What I love about Sienna is how she slowly shares all of her very special layers... There is so much to this precious girl!!!

Many of you are probably wondering about her health. Right now we are meeting with her Hematologist on March 26th. Unless something changes, we are going to keep that appointment. We want as much time to build on the trust that we have established with her. We are anxious to have her tests done, so we know what exactly we are dealing with... We do know that God has blessed us with one very special little girl!!

Off to watch the news for the first time in almost 3 weeks!!! Speaking of days.... two weeks ago today this child rocked our world!!! Amazing, how much has transpired in that time already with her. One thing is for sure.. Our hearts are a whole lot bigger!

Blessings,
Diana

26 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

Breaks my heart to read bout the tough parts but I know each day will get better. I am here for you!!!

Shana Rae said...

Diana, I've been keeping up with you through Kim and praying for you all every day. Bless you, Sienna, and your entire sweet family. Congratulations & lots of love...

Shana :)

Mission To Macie said...

love the headband! she is such a doll.


Jill :)

Wendy said...

I've been thinking of you all every day and am to hear that things are settling in. Sienna sounds like an amazing, bright, and beautiful child. What a path she has had to her forever home. I'll hold her, and your whole family, close in my thoughts.

Diana said...

I think its good that Sienna feels strong enough to show you all parts of her personality and its wonderful that she is bonding so well with her jie jie. This is exactly what happenned with my youngest; she bonded strongly with her jie jie. And two years later that bond is as strong as it was that first day they met in China.
My thoughts and prays are with you during this time of transition.
Take care. CTG

fleur de lis cottage said...

I think the first 2 weeks home were tougher than the first 3 days in China. It's the new dynamics, building trust, and getting settled. You are a sweet and beautiful family...praying for your guys

jennifer said...

I was wondering what she would think when Ainsley wasn't around. Poor baby. Love the picture with the headband. She'll be a bowhead in no time!! Love you...hang in there! I'll bet you can get yourself ready by 10:45 today...lol...

Tami said...

Oh Diana, I remember the tantrums....even some resulting in Sophie throwing up;-(. I felt SO helpless...not much I could do to bring her out of it...only stay with her, and give her a hug when done. She didn't want me to hold/hug her during the events, but yet if I moved too far away from where she was 'going at it' she would cling to me.

So much going on all at once for them in their head and heart.

Finally realized Sophie just had to get things out.

The tanrums decreased in frequency, intensity, and duration over the first couple months being home, and now I can't remember when her last tantrum was. I think as their security, adjustment, trust, and language grow...the emotional outburst become less.

Anyhow....just wanted you to know, you're not alone, sounds like you're doing a GREAT job, and remember, this too shall pass.

(((hugs))))
Tam

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

You all have been in my thoughts constantly since I read yesterday. I can just imagine how it is getting to out the door. Sounds like you are doing GREAT! It is so heartbreaking to think how hard it must be to communicate for Sienna. But that's the beauty of kids... they rise to the occasion much better than adults most of the time! The pic of her is beautiful and you are truly blessed!!!
Sharon

Kristi said...

I bet Sienna was so excited when Ainsley got home from school later in the day! ...Wondering how this morning is progressing for you both. She is a precious little girl ~as are each of your lovely daughters.

I am so enjoying in your posts!! Nothing better than a good cup of coffee and reading China adoption blogs!!

Sharon said...

I have always called my kids the littles when they were little....and now Hudson...and did you know they make thing one and thing two t-shirts? SO cute!

Praying each day you see more trust and soon she will shower you with hugs, kisses and "I love yous"..

Love Being A Nonny said...

Sienna has really bonded with Ainsley...how precious! She is a doll...all three of them are! Can you believe you are a mom to three girls? God is so good. You are blessed!

Sarah said...

Diana, I love how you write. It makes it seem like we are there with you. Poor Sienna and her little foot! I sounds as if she has a great sense of humor though!

Good luck making it through these initial first few weeks of adjusting and bonding. Your girl is stunningly beautiful... God bless her and her little heart!

Congratulations on being home!!

Sarah

the meaklims said...

Diana, you inspire me!

You've only been home a few days, wait a minute, you've only had Sienna Grace TWO weeks...and already you out and about and living life 'normally'.

That's amazing. Your sweet new daughter sounds absolutely amazing too and I am just thrilled she's getting along so well. She sounds like a little spark and she'll fit perfectly into your fmaily!

Bless you all.
Jill

snekcip said...

So glad to see that the layers are peeling away! For a four yr old, she seems to adjusting exceptionally! I think that "tough exterior" is God's little special gift to Sienna to survive what all she has been through! I also think is God's gift to many of us, of "good things to be revealed" through this special child!

Ruby's Fairy Godmother said...

Diana,
I love the sofa story...she was looking to Momma for help and thats a good thing. She fits in perfectly with your family...and she is as beautiful as your other two!
So excited so see your little sponge, expand!! Hopefully when she does begin saying a few things you will make a movie for us to hear and see her!
So many changes for a little girl!
Norah

Sammy said...

Great head band! :- ) I'm in search for cool headbands because we are adopting a 10 y.o. with her hair chopped off.

Heather H. said...

Wow, Diana! I love the beautiful family you are building. I love to hear of the great progress with your bonding. I also love the photo you posted.

Anonymous said...

Diana - I SO hear you about getting anything done - we too have "thing 1" and "thing 2". It's hard - and add to it the "de-throning" of the princess...and there are days I am grateful I got to get dressed!

Hang in there - it will get better (although some days will seem worse) - and in two months these days will be a distant memory!

sierrasmom said...

Hi
I know what you man about the getting out of the house thing. With Sierra and the little 2 year old I babysit for it is a challenge!! Today, story hour was at 10:00, less than 1 mile from my house and I barley made it!! I have to say, I have never seen a child from China that was not beautiful but Sienna Grace has such an amazing look about her. My husband keeps saying that is because she looks like Sierra. But you do have 3 exceptionally beautiful girls, both inside and out. Ainsley is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post about your day. Praying with you during the tougher times and praising him during it all for bringing all these blessings to your sweet family:)

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Oh Diana, it sounds like things are going well. It doesn't sound easy but I know that's normal. You are such a patient and loving mom:) I remember the first time my older daughter, Gabbie, left for cheer practice after we got home with Ainsley- she LOST it. Raged for about 45 minutes- kicking, screaming, etc. I felt so badly for her. I can tell you that although Ainsley still tends to get frusterated easily, she has slowly learned how to reign in her reactions to her frusterations. I think these little girls are so brave and it's wonderful that she feels safe enough to express her emotions with you. I love hearing about your girls. Thanks fo sharing:)

Kristi said...

Diana,

Welcome to twin time! No one else understands how hard it is to get anywhere on time.

Three things I do: 1. I always tell myself we have to leave 15 minutes earlier than we actually do. If I do that there is a good chance we'll actually be someplace on time. 2. We don't take early morning classes, the girls are in afternoon Kindergarten and I don't make early-morning commitments. 3. I always get myself ready for the day before the girls wake up. That way there's one less person to get ready.

Sienna sure looks happy.

Staci said...

Sounds like she is coming along beautifully. Oh how the car seat story brings back memories. Jake would either get in easily or would put up a fight. How wonderful that she always makes sure you are around!!

Melanie said...

Diana,
I am home just a couple of months now with our 3rd China treasure who is just 7 months younger than our middle child. We lovingly refer to them as 'frick and frack'. I can feel your pain concerning taking them out together...it is hard! The good news is that it gets easier. My little guy (3 1/2) is a sponge too when it comes to language. I'm so impressed at how quickly they pick it up. I only wish it was that easy for me to learn a foreign language.

Your girls are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing them!

Melanie
www.youbelong.net/mannosfamily

Dan and Karen said...

I don't know how I missed this post but I sure did.

It's great to read how Sienna is coming out of her shell every day and I loved the "Mama" part.

Tell Ainsley to soak in those kisses! So cute to hear about that.

We've continuted to pray for your adustment to a family of 5!

Dan, Karen & Danika

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive

Blog Archive