Thursday, December 18, 2008

Am I Really Just the Litter Mate?

Christmas 2007

When Jeff and I got married we got our first puppy. She was (and is) a Portugese Waterdog.
Caymus had quite the life when she came into our world. I worked in a home office so she slept at my feet, went on three walks a day, and became my shadow. In true PWD fashion she was (and is) full of personality. She needed (and needs) lots of attention. And, if she didn't (and doesn't) get it she finds a way to create it! At 8 years old she still gets in the garbage, steals food off the counter, and is co-dependent with me.... I love her to pieces, but she is my high maintenance 4 legged friend. Here's where the Litter Mate part comes in... She is NEVER naughty for Jeff. She does not bark, she does not create havoc, she is PERFECT!! Show quality really! I remember calling the breeder when she was a puppy, and she said to me, "Diana - Caymus thinks of you as her litter mate!" Did she really mean sucker?

So, why this post? Well - it seems my girls think I am their litter mate too... When I traveled for work when Ainsley was a baby, she was always PERFECT for her Daddy. She would sleep through the night, get ready for pre-school, etc.. Again, Dad the alpha, Mom the wimp....
Well, last night it happened again.. I have had a tough time with Ruby lately (again) at bedtime. She has been refusing to get in her crib for naps, and bedtime. She says "Mama's Bed" or "no bed!" Jeff was in Dallas Monday and Tuesday of this week. Ruby was a pill at bedtime. Tuesday night she fought me so hard, that she never went to bed until 11:00pm... (Long story!)

So, the end of this long post goes like this... Jeff came back last night, and I had a Christmas party at church. By the time I came home, both girls were asleep. Her Rubiness tried to control the situation with her Daddy... Jeff basically told her it was time for bed.. End of story, she went to bed... She was PERFECT! Striving to be a little more "Alpha Dog" today! I need this girl to nap so I can get some gifts wrapped!!!!

Cheers!

11 comments:

Snickerdoodle said...

There is no longer ANY nap time at our house, and hasn't been for some time. We call it "quiet time" IN her room, IN her crib. She's there right now, singing, playing, pulling off her socks, but definitely NOT napping. LOL One hour is what I need. :) But she goes to bed at 7:15 or so and is out like a light!!!!

Mine has sometimes given me "trouble" at bedtime. My girl can be very willful! I say, "it's bedtime. You can sleep, or not, but it's bedtime honey. I love you. Good night". I must be the mean mommy, because I turn out the light, close the door and walk away, even if she's crying. :( I think I remember her doing that 3 or 4 times in a year and a half. She gets the message. Clearly. Bedtime is bedtime. :)

Good luck. Toddlers are *such* fun!!
Snick :)

3 Peanuts said...

Yes, you need to law down the law~alpha girl!

Kim

P.S. It is probably because you are such a cute an fin Mom~very litter mate like! Not that jeff isn't cute and fun too.....

Lee said...

Had to laugh out loud at this, since it is 100% true at our house as well!!!

carolinagirl said...

I can totally relate! It is very disturbing to me that I am not the Alpha Dog considering I spend way more time with my boys than my husband does. However, he usually only has to ask once, and it is done! So frustrating!!!

Patty said...

Thank you so much for your honesty. My daughter has been home a year now and does the exact same thing to me. My husband is an RN working 12 hour shifts at night sometimes and it is a nightmare for me and she screams til I put her in my bed. It is so hard, I know that. If you come up with a remedy please post it.
My blog is: http://annikagrace.blogspot.com/

Robin said...

I am totally with you. My children are the very same way with Paul!! I tend to think it's because we spend the most time with them overall. Nap time here is also a big challenge bed time is a litte easier.

Blessings,
Robin

emilyb said...

Diana,

So funny...although I don't know how you resist that precious smile of Ruby's when she doesn't want to sleep :) With Preston, who is 4, it's the opposite with my husband (Jeff, too) and I. He is the "pushover" and Preston plays him like a fiddle sometimes. If he is sick, I always have to go in to take care of him because we know if Jeff goes, he may be spending the night in Preston's room :) Have a blessed and healthy Christmas- great post!

Emily

Jodee said...

I can relate too. I think our kids are much better for my husband. I always tease him that they know who has the uterus!

Casey said...

Oh... I need some of that Alpha pill too. Em totally controls the bed time lately. She even sleeps outside of my door! ugh! Totally understand.

Denise said...

Just shows you how smart she is!!

jennifer said...

So funny! Oh well, ya'll sure have a cute litter :)

No Hands But Ours

Blog Archive

Blog Archive